Sunday, August 26, 2007

Toe Socks II: Electric Boogaloo

Well, I mentioned in my last post that I was working on a pair of socks, and I promised I would post on them soon, so I really should post, shouldn't I? Let me start with a couple pictures. (I apologize for the low quality of the pictures; they were taken with a cameraphone.)





As you can see, this sock (the first of the pair) is unfortunately not finished. Still, they say that getting there is half the fun; and in knitting, I like to think the proportion is conserably higher.

The socks are loosely -- and I mean loosely -- based on a style of Japanese socks known as tabi. The most notable feature of tabi, which sadly is impossible to get from the pictures above, is a separation between the big toe and remaining four toes, to allow the wearer to wear thong sandals, such as zori or geta. It was this feature that originally sparked the desire to put together these socks. (Yes, I know, another pair of toe socks. I assure you, I don't intend to be a one-trick-sockpony; it just worked out that way.)

Of course, these socks cannot be considered true tabi, for several reasons. First, tabi are traditionally made by sewing together pieces of fabric. I was unable to do this, for what hopefully are obvious reasons. Also, tabi, because they are usually fabric and not stretchable knitting, traditionally feature a slit down the back of the sock, which is closed with buttons or fasteners, creating a seam down the back of the socks. These knit socks do not feature a slit.

What they do feature is two panels on either side of the sock leg, each with the same open-work pattern. A better view of the pattern is in the second photo. The open-work is intended to convey (somewhat crudely) a pagoda, with its stacked buildings and sloped roofs. While the open-work is far from perfect, I admit I am actually fairly happy with how it turned out. Also, while I didn't want to have the traditional tabi slit in the back of these socks, especially because they are knit and don't require one, I didn't want to ignore the feature entirely. So, running down the back of the sock is a strip of ridged stockinette, knit using the pattern for "Jacob's Ladder" from the first Barbara Walker treasury. I used Jacob's Ladder because the strip with this pattern to me resembled bamboo, which I was pleased to find was doubly appropriate: both because of the Japanese theme of the socks, and because the yarn used in the socks is Trekking Pro Natura, a wool-bamboo blend. This strip down the back of the sock was intended as a gracious (albeit highly abstracted) homage to the original construction of tabi, hoping to evoke the seam created by the two fastened sides of the traditional sock.

As we have already observed, the socks are not yet finished. I will post more and hopefully higher quality pictures when the pair is complete. Until then, mes amis, au revoir. Knit long and knit happy.

-DT

1 comment:

Unknown said...

from another guy who knits - i for one would love to see the chart for this pagoda lace! amazing work!