Monday, August 20, 2007

I post at last!

Greetings, residents of the knitoblogosphere. I come with news!

Well, that's a little misleading. It sounds like I've come to you all with something extremely exciting to tell you. I can't say that it's so remarkably exciting. Also, it is not, I am afraid, all that new. I have simply been slow to post it. Nevertheless, I am a knitter, and this is a knitting blog, and what kind of knitting blogger would I be if I didn't post about a completed project, hm?

The project is this:



It is a pair of knit summer pants. The yarn is Brown Sheep Cotton Fleece (80% cotton, 20% Merino). The color is "Putty." I knit the pants at the request of my girlfriend, who likes loose, comfortable 3/4-length pants to wear around the house. Most of the pants are simply stockinette -- and a lot of it. There was a lot of fabric in these pants, and it was made almost entirely with stockinette. In fact, I considered rewriting the pattern for the pant legs like so:

Pant Leg: Crochet CO 132 stitches. Knit 9742.

Yes, that would actually work.

Still, the pants weren't entirely stockinette. There was one very notable exception, shown here:




At the end of each pant leg is a ruffle, and at the end of each ruffle is a lace edging. This was my first openwork. Yes, my first. I know it's not much to look at, but I have to admit, I felt a strange childlike sense of pride for this simple little edging, kind of like catching a baseball for the first time.

For those who are curious, I got the pattern from Knitty, the 2007 summer issue. The pattern is called "Unmentionables". At the request of the recipient, I lengthened both legs by about 4.5 inches. Other than that, the pattern is exactly as in Knitty.

Apologies for delaying in the post. I'm now working on a pair of openwork socks; I'll post on those soon.

Ciao, as they say,
-DT

1 comment:

wendy said...

Looks great...way to go!